With the first week of 2016 behind us, I decided to finally focus on choosing key things I want to improve on this year. I have a love/hate relationship with resolutions because of the whole “new year, new me” thing people shout on New Year’s day. I’m a goal oriented person and hence always have short and long term goals that I routinely check off my lists as the years progress. I figured since many people aren’t obsessive planners like I am, I should be a little inspiring and share some things I’d like to improve on this year.
1. Read 1 book a month. I love reading, nothing beats a good book and tea when it comes to alone time 101. Unfortunately, I’ve been so busy lately that books tend to take a backseat in my life. This year I’ve decided to make it a priority to read 1 book a month. I’m going to start by finishing a book I started last year, and then choosing new ones as we go along. Share your suggestions in the comment box if you know of any good books I should read.
2. Be a better christian. I haven’t been the sharpest christian in the bible last year, often being “too busy” to spend time with God. As the new year begun, it’s my number one priority to improve God and I’s relationship, as it’s my most important one. This year I’ll focus on doing things that please God – I’ll attend church more regularly (not just on Sundays), I’ll read the bible more often, pray daily and do more good deeds. It’s important to spend time in prayer (no matter your faith). I find that days that start with prayer and/or meditation are always days well spent.
3. Stick to an exercise routine. Thankfully, I’ve been blessed with a body I’m happy with and a relatively fast metabolism, but I can’t help but think that I’ve been very lazy these last few weeks – I eat Burger King all the time, sweets, cookies… and NEVER work out. I have to make it a priority to workout at least 4 times a week, whether it’s yoga, rock climbing or a jog. I know for sure that I don’t want to join a conventional gym as I like my workouts to be fun and not treadmill boring.
4. Put a cap on my work day. I’m always on, 24/7. I sometimes go to sleep at 2am because I’m researching for the blog or working on my secret project (more details in the coming months). I have to learn to shut down and go to sleep early. I specifically need time off Instagram, I can get stuck on there for hours browsing and doing unnecessary things. I hope that this year I’ll learn to turn off my phone from time to time, take more naps and go to bed early (epic fail tonight as I’m writing this blog post at 11:32pm).
5. Spend more time with family. My family lives in Ottawa and Montreal, I’m here in Toronto. I didn’t get to visit as much last year because life just got in the way. I have a two year old niece and not being able to watch her grow up everyday kills me. Hopefully this year I’ll be able to go down there more often and spend time with my little sisters, brother, older sisters, niece, mother, cousins… and everyone else.
So there you have it, my 5 resolutions. I didn’t blog about them on the 1st because I wanted to get through the first week of the year first, which was kind of rough. Now that I’ve had time to think, I hope to fulfill all my resolutions. This year is a very important one for me, and I can’t wait to take you guys along on my journey! Here’s to 2016!