Mother nature still hasn’t taken it easy on us. In honour of the cold weather, I’ve been enjoying soups for dinner. I love the heartiness of soup coupled with the warm fuzzy feelings it brings along. I tend to stick to my staple soups, which are chicken and butternut squash. Occasionally, I step outside the box and try something new; like Marilou and Alexandre Champagne‘s tomato, sausage and spinach soup. I’ve tried it three times and it keeps getting better. It keeps hitting the spot time and time again. It’s a super easy soup that’s also economical and very filling. The recipe is from the cookbook 3 times a day. It’s one of my favourite cookbooks of the moment. It was a gift from the boy and I’ve tried almost every soup recipe from it since receiving it this past Christmas holiday. I’m sharing the recipe below, give it a try and enjoy!
[bctt tweet=”Nothing like a tasty soup for dinner to warm up on a cold winter evening!”]
What you’ll need
vegetable oil for cooking (I used olive oil)
1 onion, finely chopped
2 closes of garlic, thinly sliced
1 tbsp of sugar
1 Yukon gold potato, peeled and cut into cubes (I used a sweet potato)
3 cups of chicken stock
salt and pepper, to taste
meat from 2 Italian sausages (I substituted the sausages with ground lamb)
2 cups of baby spinach cut into ribbons
1 can of whole Italian tomatoes (28oz)
1. In a pot, heat a bit of vegetable oil and add the onion, garlic, and sugar; sauté for about 5 minutes, or until deliciously golden.
2. Add the potato, tomatoes, and chicken stock. Season well with salt and pepper and bring to a boil.
3. Reduce the heat and let simmer for 15 minutes or until the potato is cooked. Season again.
4. Using a regular or immersion blender, purée the soup until smooth. Adjust the seasoning and set aside.
5. In a pan, heat a drizzle of oil, add the meat, and cook for 5 minutes or until nicely browned. Because I love my food spicy, I sprinkled some chili flakes and ginger on the meat.
6. Stir in the spinach and the soup. Cook until the spinach is wilted and serve.